Jan. 27, 2011 - Leonard Volunteer Fire Department personnel responded to a barn fire called in at 6:30 a.m. on Friday, Jan. 21. A passing motorist observed the fire first at Oleo Acres on Private Road 76 southwest of Leonard.
Residents living in one of the houses on the property also soon discovered the fire and called 911 to be told the firefighters were on their way and arrived while the occupants were on the phone.
When firefighters arrived, the barn was fully engulfed, and uncontrollable. There was concern with the fire being close to other structures and vehicles, and firemen went to work making sure no other property was damaged. The firefighters and occupants of the first home attempted to alert those in the second home on the property about the fire. They were eventually awakened and notified.
The barn was totally devastated and the family lost two pigs, two tractors, two lawnmowers, two freezers, one refrigerator, several power tools, a four-layer egg brooder, 40 cases of Mason jars, antique Asian musical instruments, furniture, garden supplies, a tiller, a child’s wagon, a garden wagon, along with garden hand tools.
Co-owner of the property Cathy Cox stated that the musical instruments lost were brought back to America by her father.
"They are irreplacable," Cox stated.
The furniture lost was also some that had come from the home of her father.
The cause of the fire is thought to be a pesky goat who knocked a heat lamp off of a stall and into hay. The LVFD cleared the scene around 9 to 9:30 a.m.
|< Prev||Next >|