The Leonard Graphic

Home Celeste News Headlines Blast from the Past - April 7

Blast from the Past - April 7

E-mail Print PDF
User Rating: / 0

30 YEARS AGO - APRIL 3, 1981

The Tree House

A new business on the southside of downtown Celeste is now open. THE TREE HOUSE by Linda Brown and Arvella Kirk are open Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Featuring clothing, gifts, crafts, toys and miscellaneous items. Come by and meet the new owners and see their decorative store.

It's a Boy

Mr. and Mrs. Garland Evans of Gulport, Mississippi announce the birth of a son, Chris Mark, born March 8, 1981.

Grandparents are Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Evans Sr.

Birthday Celebration

Dora Taylor celebrated her 81st birthday Sunday, March 22, at her home.

Those helping her celebrate were Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor and family, Mr. and Mrs. Geral DeWitt and family of Rowlett and Anthony Arey of Commerce.

Jennifer Roach of Whitewright celebrated her third birthday Sunday, March 22, in the home of her grandmother, Theda Roach. Ice cream and cake were served to guests: Mr. and Mrs. Jap Garcia and boys, Tom Giles and Meghan, David Swindell, Ryman Gilliam, and Mr. and Mrs. Bud Roach of Whitewright.

50 YEARS AGO- APRIL 7, 1961

Solon Milton Re-Elected As Mayor Of Celeste

Solon Milton was re-elected Mayor of Celeste in the city election held Tuesday, April 4. He received 74 votes.

Mrs. W. W. McMichael was re-elected city secretary with 75 votes. Also re-elected were aldermen Burley Lanier, 72 votes, and Morris Babers, 72 votes.

Receiving write-in votes were Harrison Compton, 1 for mayor; Lum Compton, Ray Compton and Tom Mulkey each received one for alderman.

Blue Ridge Child Drowns In Sewer Main Ditch Monday

Shellie Dain, three year old daughter of Postmaster and Mrs. W. V. Samples of Blue Ridge, drowned in approximately one foot of water in a sewer main ditch near her home Monday afternoon.

The child was found face down in the ditch at approximately 1:15 p.m. Her mother pulled her body from the ditch and a brother, Raymond Keith Simms, immediately started artificial respiration but there was no response. J. R. Bratcher of Blue Ridge and Dr. Jack Webb and Dr. Tom Allison both of Farmersville, assisted.

It was reported that when she was moved from the ditch she had some pecans in her mouth, and also had a bruise on her head.

Shellie Dain was born in McKinney June 18, 1957.

Frightening Experience

The many friends of the Monroe Passons are glad to know that they are recovering nicely from a frightening ordeal.

On Tuesday morning when Mr. Passons didn't appear at his shop, farmers needing work done, became uneasy. Johnny Myers went to the home. In time Mrs. Passons was aroused enough to unlock the door, though she was terribly sick. Both she and Monroe had been in a semi-conscious state, knowing they were sick, yet not conscious of time, or condition. It was eleven o'clock in the morning and they were due to have been hours before for they retired at 9:00 o'clock the night before.

An open window is credited with saving them for the fumes created from a refrigerator (even though it was still lighted) would have been stronger in a closed room.

Mrs. Passons recommends that people should take warning and have a fresh air intake in their sleeping rooms.

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment



February 2017
29 30 31 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 1 2 3 4

Information Menu

Contact Us
Web Links

Login Form